Friday, April 8, 2011

Made In The U.S.A.?


How important is it to have pride that your items are "Made In The U.S.A."? I felt it was very important. If Petit Coterie could put 20 unemployed workers to work then we have made a small contribution to the unemployment in this country. Unfortunately, to be competitive I must offer pillows and bedding at a price that small stores can achieve a decent mark-up.

As the manufacturing pool get's smaller and smaller due to the imports coming in, it is harder for small manufacturing plants to keep up with the high cost of insurance and overhead. So naturally they are not in a position to offer rates that are competitive with China and India.

Which brings me back to the realization that just like many other wholesalers/manufactures in the U.S. we may have to move our production to China. A very sad thought.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic.

Have a wonderful weekend,



3 comments:

LisaMarie said...

Sadly, many things we Americans buy are not made here (even many things we THINK are). I truly WISH I could buy 100% made in the U.S.A., but I also wish I could buy 100% organic, local food and use only 100% eco friendly/green products and 100% recycled everything! In todays world, it is pretty much impossilbe unless money is absolutely NOT AN ISSUE....which is just not the case for too many of us! You have to make the decision for yourself if it is worth it for you financially, morally, etc. If (or I should say WHEN to sound more positive and confident in myself) I get my small business going, I will keep it small, local or at the very least, yes, "made in the U.S.A." or I will be done with it. (But again, this is totally a personal choice that every business person must make for themselves.)

The Kramer Angle said...

It is sad that most people don't seem to think twice about it and will buy something no matter where it is made. We live in a society where we just don't think about it anymore.

When I was growing up my dad only went to the store when he absolutely needed to because my mom just picked out all of his clothes. He did however, go shoe shopping but the first question he asked about a pair of shoes was "Are they made in America?" If they weren't, he put them down, walked out the door and found a store that did sell MADE IN THE USA shoes, which was always Tom McAnn!

Marge of Emmas Nook and Granny said...

I just read the 'about' page at your web site. European and Nordic designs... plus Martha Stewart has recently featured you wares. Pretty special!!

Made in China is not special. Made in China sounds cheap and of inferior quality. JMHO

I wish you well making this important decision.